Friday, August 15, 2008

boneless

i'm melted.

just over an hour ago i was wrapped like a newborn moth in a cocoon of flannel. my hands and feet freshly washed with a steaming hot, damp cloth. a fold of flannel over my eyes to block out the skylight overhead. she wrapped me up tight in a dim room with a lotus leaf fan overhead, river stones along the base of one wall, candles flickering among grey rocks. tibetan monkish music piped in, the rythym monotonous and comforting because of it. amid the flutey tones were strange plump drumbeats, the sound of hot mud bubbling. and crickets chirped in the background. my third eye was open the whole time, indigo blue between my eyebrows and i felt like i'd taken part in a sort of yoga where i never had to move, my muscles and body plied gently for me. i fell in love with her hands. instinctively i knew when the hour would soon be up, then she scritched my skull, drew curliques with her fingers lightly over my belly, then folded me tight into the sheet. i felt like an egyptian queen as she massaged my body and now i felt like i was being prepared for the tomb. i half expected to be gutted and sprinkled with natron. however, thankfully, that doesn't come with the $80 treatment. she whispered "take your time getting up" and i felt the usual frustration as i lay there boneless. why can't i stay? why must the queen unwrap herself and leave this beautiful tomb?

No comments: